Posts Tagged with “directv now”
If you’re looking to cut your traditional cable then you’ll want to make sure that you pick a streaming service that works for you. In this DirecTV Now review, we look at all of the packages and channels available along with pricing and our take on the streaming service after using it for a month.
Quick Review: DirecTV Now is a very capable replacement for your traditional cable package or satellite services like DirecTV or Dish. There are a few downsides like a clunky guide and occasional buffering, but none of these are deal breakers. We’ve used DirecTV Now for streaming live shows and live sports and can recommend it to anyone looking for a live streaming service.
Website: DirecTVNow.com (7-Day Free Trial + Deals)
DirecTV Now Packages and Pricing
DirecTV Now currently has four different packages with a mix of channels and prices. The entry-level and most popular package is their “Live A Little” package with over 60 channels with a price of $35 per month. This includes most of the major channels most need including ABC, CBS, ESPN, HGTV, NBC, Fox, CNN, Fox News and more. After the entry-level option, you have three other options that go up in price until you reach the “Gotta Have It” package with over 120 channels and a price of $70 per month.
- Live A Little – 60+ Channels For $35 Per Month
- Just Right – 80+ Channels for $50 Per Month
- Go Big – 100+ Channels For $60 Per Month
- Gotta Have It – 120+ Channels For $70 Per Month
Premium Channel Add-Ons:
You can add premium channels with any package for the prices below.
- HBO – $5 per month
- Cinemax – $5 per month
- Showtime – $8 per month
- Starz – $8 per month
This list is updated regularly as DirecTV Now changes their packages and pricing.
In our opinion, the entry-level option should work for most customers. This package gives you most of your essential channels and doesn’t break the bank. As most looking for a cable alternative are trying to save money it doesn’t really make sense to splurge for a larger package such as the “Gotta Have It” unless there are specific channels you want that can’t be found in the other packages.
Another benefit of having a DirecTV Now subscription is that you can use it as your cable provider to access apps including Watch ESPN, HGTV and over 35 more. You can find the entire listing of channels on their website as some channels within each package change frequently.
Pros and Cons – Our Take On DirecTV Now
- Good Pricing and Available Channel Packages – Most people that ditch their cable bundle do it because they’re looking to save money or they only need a few channels. DirecTV Now has a great entry-level package for only $35 that has almost every channel that most people watch. This makes it a true cable alternative that can help you save money and not be locked into some type of long contract.
- Clear Channels – One thing that’s immediately noticeable is that the picture on every channel is very clear. When compared to our cable service, DirecTV Now looked much brighter and clearer.
- Plenty Of Devices – DirecTV Now will stream on plenty of different devices. You can stream DirecTV Now from most browsers along with most Roku devices, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, iPad, Android Tablets, iPhone, Android Phones, and more. You can find the entire updated list of devices available on their website.
- Occasionally Buffers – Even though their service has gotten much better than when it originally launched, you do get the occasional buffering. The buffering will depend on your internet connection and other factors, but the buffering usually only lasted a few seconds. It doesn’t matter at all when watching regular television, but if it would buffer during an important time in a sporting event then it could get annoying. Since this has been slowly improving since the launch I would guess that these problems will be nearly eliminated at some point.
- Price Of Larger Packages – The entry-level package that has almost every channel most people need at a reasonable price. Once you get beyond the entry-level “Live A Little” package you start paying a higher premium per channel with many of these channels being secondary type channels. Many people ditch their cable to save money and even though the entry-level package does solve that problem, the other packages start getting expensive quickly.
- Guide Can Be Clunky and Slow – The guide to find your channels is something that DirecTV Now needs to improve. They keep releasing new options that do help, but overall the guide can be very slow when switching channels and trying to find your favorite channels. Since you have to use the guide to find each channel, this can get old fast.
- Only Two Concurrent Streams Per Subsciption – DirecTV Now only allows you to have two streams per account going at once. If you’re using this in a home for your family you’ll realize that two streams will be quickly taken up. A few competitors already offer more screens at once or unlimited screens so it would be nice to see DirecTV Now move towards allowing more streams at once.
We spent about a month using DirecTV Now as our main source of live TV. At first, we weren’t sure if it could be a complete replacement for cable, but as we continued using it we found that many features and options actually made it better than our current cable provider. There are times when it will buffer for a couple seconds and the guide to switch channels can get slow but this really isn’t a deal breaker.
Overall, DirecTV Now is a good cable alternative and one of the best live TV streaming services currently on the market. We currently recommend their “Live A Little” package with 60+ channels for $35 per month as the best plan if you’re purchasing their service.
DirecTV Now Promotions and Deals
We keep this section updated with any deals and promotions for DirecTV Now. These deals are available for new customers signing up for a new package. These deals in the past have included everything from free devices when you prepay, such as an Apple TV or Roku device, along with big discounts on the regular price of a plan for multiple months. Find all of the latest deals below (updated regularly).
3 Months For $10 Per Month – During this promotion, you’ll receive your first three months for only $10 per month. Follow the link provided to activate this offer. A promo code will pop up on their website to give you this discount at checkout.
Apple TV 4K When You Prepay For 3 Months – When you follow this link and prepay for 3 months of DirecTV Now service you’ll receive an Apple TV 4K with no additional charge. The device will be shipped once you’ve prepaid for your service. New customers only.
Amazon Fire TV When You Prepay One Month – When you prepay for only one month of DirecTV Now you can receive an Amazon Fire TV. This means you can prepay for one month of DirecTV Now for $35 and receive an Amazon Fire TV ($70 value) at no additional charge.
AT&T Customer Discounts (DirecTV Now For $10 Per Month) – If you’re an AT&T Wireless or AT&T Internet customer then you can get a big discount on DirecTV Now. They’re currently offering AT&T customers (with select plans) DirecTV Now for as low as $10 per month when you verify your account when signing up or within the profile area if you’re already signed up. Follow the link provided for more information on how you can receive this discount.
Do you have any questions, comments, or your own review of DirecTV Now? Leave those below. We will do our best to answer any questions you may have and figure out if this streaming service is right for you.
We’ve found that most people give multiple live streaming services a try before settling on the one that best fits their viewing habits. If you’ve already tried DirecTV Now then you can try out this list of alternatives and competitors that we’ve put together. We’ve broken down each alternative with information to help you best choose which works for you whether it’s a sports-focused service or a service that can be bundled with your existing internet or wireless plan. This page will be updated regularly with new alternatives.
Sling TV is the main competitor to DirecTV Now. They have millions of subscribers and their pricing is actually slightly lower than DirecTV Now for most packages. The plans start at $20 per month with the option to add an add-on plan specific to your watching habits for $5. The add-on simply includes more channels of your choice of sports, comedy, kids, lifestyle and more. The services are very similar, including some of the same downfalls, but overall it’s a solid option for catching everything from the big game to your favorite shows. You can get a free 7-day trial to see if Sling TV is right for you.
Fubo TV is a streaming service that has a focus on sports. Since most people purchasing a live TV streaming service are interested in sports, this can make a lot of sense. The price of FuboTV starts at $44.90 per month which is much higher than many of the competitors. The reason many purchase Fubo is for their secondary and international sports channels that are hard to find anywhere else. If you’re only needing to stream games on ESPN or Fox Sports then you can find cheaper options. You can also get a 7-day free trial to see if you like their service along with a discounted first month after that.
Hulu Live TV
Hulu with Live TV is the live streaming offering of Hulu. They have all of the top sports, news, and lifestyle channels available for $39.99 per month. Another great thing about this service is that they allow “unlimited screens” so if you’re in a household with multiple people watch on separate TV’s you won’t run into the problem of other streaming services that allows two devices to be streaming at a time. They essentially have just the one package with top channels, but they do have add-ons for channels like HBO and Showtime. They offer one week free along with other promotions on their website.
Youtube TV is the live TV streaming option from Youtube/Google. It’s not currently available everywhere just yet, but the reviews are good and it’s only $35 per month. They have the top channels and allow up to 6 devices to be streaming at once. The channel options are heavy on sports and news along with other select channels such as Disney, ABC, CBS, AMC and more. Just like most of the other streaming services they also offer a 7-day free trial.
Cable and DirecTV
I know the main reason most people switch to DirecTV Now is to ditch their current cable bundle. As more people have ditched to start using services like DirecTV Now or Sling TV, many providers have lowered the price of their cable plans. Providers like Comcast Xfinity and Charter Spectrum have unveiled “skinny bundles” which give you a few basic channels for a low price. Many other internet providers have increased the prices of their internet services and lowered the prices of cable, so many of these bundles will actually save you money as you will need internet to use a streaming service anyways.
It always pays to at least check to see what the current price of a bundle is with your cable provider before opting for an OTT streaming service. You can find a deal below to compare providers and find any current deals.
If you have DirecTV and you’re looking for an alternative then you’ve come to the right place. Many customers start with DirecTV and then because of the jump in price after the first year or bad signal in their area might have a better experience elsewhere. We’ve broken down a few of the best alternatives below with everything from live TV streaming services such as DirecTV Now and Sling TV to cable providers and more. This list will keep updating as we find other alternatives and competitors.
If you’re simply wanting to ditch DirecTV for a cable/satellite alternative then you may want to check our DirecTV Now. DirecTV Now is DirecTV’s cable alternative where you can still stream all of your favorite shows with just an internet connection. They have all of the major networks including ABC, Fox, ESPN, HGTV and dozens of other channels depending on the package you choose. You will receive a 7-day free trial to check out their service with plans starting as low as $35 per month. Use the link below to find any deals available.
Website: DirecTVNow.com or DirecTV Now Promo Codes
Sling TV is similar to DirecTV as you can stream all of your favorite shows and channels with just an internet connection. You can get live channels on Sling TV including CNN, Fox, ABC, ESPN, HGTV, Disney Channel and dozens more. Their plans start at just $20 per month and they also offer a free trial. You can find more information about Sling TV packages, channels, and prices by following the link below to their website.
Website: SlingTV.com or Sling TV Promo Codes
Indoor TV Antenna
An antenna will help you gain a few of your basic channels without having to pay for anything other than an antenna to stick on your wall or near your closest window. You can use a free website like AntennaWeb to see what channels are available in your zip code. This may not be entirely accurate, but it will give you some idea of what channels you can receive with an antenna. We’ve linked the best TV antenna’s as reviewed by Amazon below, but you can also check out the best TV antennas as reviewed by TheWireCutter. The indoor TV antennas range in price from $20 to $50.
Website: Best TV Antennas at Amazon
Your Local Cable Provider (Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, etc)
The cable provider in your area may have deals available when you bundle your existing internet or sign up for a new plan. A lot of cable providers, such as Comcast, now have what is called a skinny bundle. This is for those who may just need a few channels and don’t want the expenses of having 300 channels you don’t watch. You’ll still have to watch for a price increase after the first or second year, but you can save some money in the meantime and get all of the channels you need. You can follow the link below to compare all of the options from your local provider. The quick quote is free and only takes a couple minutes to find some of the lowest prices available.
Link: Compare Cable, Internet, and More
Leave all of your comments and questions below. We will do our best to help you find an alternative to DirecTV or help you find deals for existing users at DirecTV.
DirecTV Now has multiple deals and promotions available for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. There’s a mix of deals available including free devices with purchase of select plans, a month free of DirecTV Now with the purchase of a Roku, and other discounts for the service. You can find all of the latest deals we’ve found below. We will update this page as all of the deals are made available. Most of the deals can be activated by simply clicking the corresponding link.
Best Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals For DirecTV Now
- Free Roku Streaming Stick with One Month Prepay – you can get a free Roku Streaming Stick when you prepay for just one month of DirecTV Now. This works for any plan and then you’ll get your Roku device (a $49 value) in the mail.
- Get a 4K Apple TV (32 GB) for $0 with 4-month prepay of DIRECTV NOW – Prepay for 4-months of DirecTV Now and get a 4K Apple TV (32 GB) for free. This is a value of $179 for free. Continue through the link for more information on how you can get your free 4K Apple TV.
- $25 Off Base Package ($10 For First Month) – Follow the link and put in the promo code shown on that page to get your first month for $10. This is $25 off the regular price for their plans. This offer is only available for a limited time.
- One Month Of DirecTV Now Free (via Roku) – When you purchase select Roku devices you will receive a free month of DirecTV Now automatically.
Continue reading »